The real awakening of power took place in the social media thanks to the premiere of the last episode of “Star Wars”. The next episode of the saga was eagerly awaited by fans all over the world. In social media and on the Internet, the film enjoyed great popularity even before its premiere. Advertisers also decided to earn money on its popularity.
– It was a real time marketing. They communicated strongly in October, November and December, and what is more, they aimed exactly at the days when there were particular premieres. Both brands and Internet users were very active exactly during the hours of film emission in particular countries.
“Star Wars: Awakening the Power” should probably be considered the most media premiere of last year. Star Wars was visible everywhere. It was hard not to come across campaigns, memes, clothes, toys, games and disguises referring to the expected film on the Internet. From the beginning of January to 22 December 2015, 174,012 Star Wars publications appeared on the American Internet.
Fanpages featured contests, questions addressed to fans, and reminded of the upcoming premiere. Most of it was on Facebook, which in the USA still distanced itself from other social networking sites.
– Facebook has definitely managed to dominate FMCG brands, mainly confectionery, juice and food producers.
YouTube, on the other hand, was the most popular choice for electronics producers. Computers, TVs and game consoles were advertised. Advertisements for LG and HP products recorded the highest number of impressions. The best use of Google’s potential was made by producers of bricks, games and games. Lego was a particularly sought-after brand. Their sets became an attractive prize in competitions, causing a great involvement in social media.
– Internet users searched Google for a lot of information about the new edition of Lego Star Wars. “Star Wars Battlefront”, i.e. a game for consoles, also did very well. All brands decided to play on the most interesting possible motif, i.e. the choice of power side. Every fan of “Star Wars” wants to take sides, so it was connected with the greatest number of puppets, comments.
More than half of the Internet users met with an advertisement based on the theme of the star saga. This is a good result, especially since some brands only indirectly referred to it.
– Internet users definitely paid attention to these advertisements and, what is important, they did not treat them as invasive at all. They did not reject them, there was no banner blindness effect, which is so visible on the American Internet. – Fans definitely showed us what a real customer journey means, i.e. how the interested person moves from start to finish, i.e. to watch the film, and how it documents it on the Internet.
Internet users were most active near the premiere, i.e. at midnight on December 17th and 18th, and just afterwards. The impressions from the film were shared in large numbers. They bragged about their participation in the event, there were lots of photographs and films.
– The most interesting platform was Instagram, where fans not only showed pictures of their tickets before the premiere, but also took pictures of themselves during, just before and after the release of the film. They were dressed up in costumes associated with Star Wars in cinemas.